CAD Software & Uses

What’s on your mind? Share all Off-Topic things with the ZEISS community here. / Was beschäftigt Sie? Teilen Sie alle Off-Topic mit der ZEISS Community hier.
Keith Forche

CAD Software & Uses

Post by Keith Forche »

Hey all,

I am trying to get access to a CAD "seat", for designing custom CMM fixtures.
Wondering what people use/like, and what you use it for aside from design.

Any info is appreciated, and will help me build my case! :D
Owen Long

Re: CAD Software & Uses

Post by Owen Long »

I went from using a generic version of 2D GenCad6 (yeah, old) to Solidworks and the transition wasn't too difficult. I say it wasn't difficult but, I work with a lot people who have 3D Solidworks experience and wouldn't be where I am with it today without them. However, there are a lot of videos out there to help learn it and Solidworks themselves have some really nice training programs built within the system.
If you work with cad models a lot, being able to design fixtures and incorporate the models into calypso with the parts can be a big asset to making programs quicker/more efficient. Having your own seat of cad-modeling software allows you to convert/modify models into different formats like SAT, OBJ, STL DA, 3DS, IGES, STEP etc that work better in the converter you’ve purchased with Calypso.
If you don't use models, sometimes its quicker to create a simple partial model of part with a lot of features that have to be scanned around for surface or inspected than it is to manually create the poly lines and or multiple patterns in calypso and then use that partial model to create that section inside calypso automatically.
I'm responsible for reverse engineering components and creating drawings for identification or machining so, I use it every day.
If you have Curve with an active scanning head, being able to digitalize unknown-contours or shapes and then transfer the data into Solidworks to create a cad model, is priceless and much more accurate than laser scanning. When checking small radiuses with the CMM, I’ll sometimes use curve and transfer the points into Solidworks to validate the true radius size or location.

I’m sure others with more experience using other types of cad software will have their own preferences and maybe even cheaper but, that's my 2 cents :roll:
Chad Watton

Post by Chad Watton »

Solidworks is the shit. I pretty much do the exact same thing as Owen. It is amazing what you can reverse engineer the a scanning head, curve, and solidworks. The problem with solidworks is $$$$$. This is what I use at work.

I use a couple different programs at home that are all free for near free. I think Inventor, student version, is good and is free. I have started to use FreeCad and its growing on me. LibreCAD works good for 2D stuff.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master.
Mace Windu

Post by Mace Windu »

I like to use libreCAD privately to do something for my hobbies. ;)
Here 2D is usually fully sufficient.