use labview to control the Zeiss microscope and stage

Discuss macros to control the hardware functions of your ZEISS microscope
user-6825

use labview to control the Zeiss microscope and stage

Post by user-6825 »

HI,

This is Linda from University of California, Irvine. We just purchased two Axio Observer systems. Want to use Labview to control the Zeiss microscope and stage. Can anyone help me figure out how to start? I used to use Visa read/write in Labview to control the microscope but for the new Zeiss, it is not listed in Ports (COM & LPT) but have a separate USB enabled device for SMC 2009 and microscope stand.
user-4

Post by user-4 »

... to control the Zeiss microscope ...
Hi Linda,

to control a Zeiss microscope from another software you have to find a way, I think in LabVIEW a VI, that allows you to communicate via TCP or to interact with a COM interface.
Generally both ways are based on a certain programming- or scripting-environment as there is in most cases a minimum of exchange and variability necessary.

Both interfaces (TCP & COM) are accessible if there is a license of Open Application Development (OAD).

I hope this gives a first idea ...
user-6825

control Zeiss Z1 using Labview VISA commands

Post by user-6825 »

Thanks for the info. Some one from Zeiss helped me figure out how to see the COM ports in the device manager and NI MAX using the RS232 to USB converters to connect Zeiss Z1 stand and SMC 2009 controller. But I have other questions:

(1) RS 232 configure is simple but the cable must be the null modem, right?

(2) I received many documents listing all the programming manuals to control each piece, and they all use CAN29 format. Does this works for RS 232 connection?

Thanks for your time and help

Linda
user-4

Post by user-4 »

Hi Linda,

(1) RS 232 configure is simple but the cable must be the null modem, right?

You would need a special cable, which can be ordered from ZEISS.

(2) I received many documents listing all the programming manuals to control each piece, and they all use CAN29 format. Does this works for RS 232 connection?

The Micro Toolbox (MTB) has to be configured to work via RS232.
Then you have to send and receive CAN29 commands via RS232.

Please think twice if you really want to go this way as there is a huge amount of internal knowledge necessary.
This kind of interaction is very low-level and not supported in any way.
It is likely that you invest a lot of time without reaching a satisfying result.

In my last post the idea was to go via ZEN blue which is hight-level programming and thus relatively easy.

If you are searching for a mid-level programming please have a look at programming the Micro Toolbox (MTB).

Micro Toolbox Dowwnload
or Micro Toolbox Basic Instructions