Capture control data from WinForm app and save to a database

Everything OAD-related that won't fit in the other categories: share general aspects of macro programming and discuss the OAD environment
Ariel Manoos

Capture control data from WinForm app and save to a database

Post by Ariel Manoos »

I am a software developer and I have a requirement to develop a .NET WinForm app that will be called as an extension from within a macro through the OAD environment. This WinForm app will also need to connect to a SQL database server. The objective is to let users enter control data information through the WinForm app and then save both control data and the csv file generated as part of the analysis phase, to a SQL database as one atomic unit. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need a separate license for OAD? We already have a valid license for Zen Blue.
2. Are there any software dependencies required in order to implement this solution?
3. Are there any limitations in terms of what version of .NET to use?

Thank you for your time

Ariel
CarlZeissMicroscopy3

Re: Capture control data from WinForm app and save to a database

Post by CarlZeissMicroscopy3 »

Hello Ariel,

I have a requirement to develop a .NET WinForm app that will be called as an extension from within a macro through the OAD environment.

Yes, this is possible. In Visual Studio, or any other Development Environment, you can enter your code concerning the WinForm and the SQL database server. You will need e.g. an WinForms-Application for .NetFramework and set the type of the project to a classlibrary. At the end you get a dll that you can easily import in IronPython. Finally, you can access the public classes etc. from the macro environment.

1. Do I need a separate license for OAD? We already have a valid license for Zen Blue.
Yes, OAD is not automatically included.

2. Are there any software dependencies required in order to implement this solution?
As for as I understand your case, you will build a separate DLL that has little 'to do' with Zen blue itself.
There will be a certain communication between the macro and the DLL but this is most probably done on basic data types like string etc.

3. Are there any limitations in terms of what version of .NET to use?
I don't think so. My suggestion would be to use the .Net version your Zen blue is built with. The information can be seen on Menu / Help / About Zen / Show Zen Information. As WinForms and access to MSSQL has not really changed 'a lot'. If you use a newer version of .Net Framework you have to install that in addition.

I hope this helps to set everything up.
Ariel Manoos

Re: Capture control data from WinForm app and save to a database

Post by Ariel Manoos »

Thank you for your quick response. I will work on getting the OAD license.

Regards
Ariel