Extracting tiles with no overlap in the extracted images

Discuss questions and projects related to processing of imaging data here
user-6033

Extracting tiles with no overlap in the extracted images

Post by user-6033 »

Hi,

The minimum overlap when using the tile tool is 1%. When extracting the tiles into separate images I assume that the region within 1 % of the image border will be shared by two separate images, thus analyzing in this region may be counted twice. To avoid this, is it just to create a subimage with changed dimension where the new image will have a reduced image height and with by 1 % from each border? (Which I then intend to do within the OAD extracting script). Or is there another way to do this? (It would be great if it was possible to also set 0 % overlap within the tile tool).

Best regards

Fredrik Olsson
Darlene Haynes

Re: Extracting tiles with no overlap in the extracted images

Post by Darlene Haynes »

user-6033 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:25 am Hi,

The minimum overlap when using the tile tool is 1%. When extracting the tiles into separate images I assume that the region within 1 % of the image border will be shared by two separate images, thus analyzing in this region may be counted twice. To avoid this, is it just to create a subimage with changed dimension where the new image will have a reduced image height and with by 1 % from each border? (Which I then intend to do within https://www.beballplayers.com/ the OAD extracting script). Or is there another way to do this? (It would be great if it was possible to also set 0 % overlap within the tile tool).

Best regards

Fredrik Olsson
Hello,

It seems that you are working with some kind of tile tool that allows you to split a large image into smaller tiles with some overlap. Based on the web search results I found, there are different ways to handle the overlap issue depending on the type and purpose of your tile tool.

One option is to use the individual tiles strategy, which splits the image into separate tiles with a specified overlap in both directions. This is useful if you have independent pieces of material to machine, or if your CNC machine does not allow overhanging material outside of the machinable area. However, this option requires you to adjust the overlap distance according to the shape and size of your tool bit, especially for 2.5D toolpaths that use the side of the bit to cut. You can read more about this option here.

Another option is to use the feed-through strategy, which cuts a single strip of material using a series of setups, moving the material through the machinable area between cuts. This is convenient if you have a long and narrow piece of material, or if your CNC machine allows overhanging material outside of the machinable area. This option also requires you to specify the overlap distance, but it can be smaller than the individual tiles option, since the features are not split at the tile edges. You can read more about this option here.

A third option is to use the adaptive subdivision processing logic, which is used by some ArcGIS tools to improve the performance and scalability of feature overlay operations. This option automatically divides the data into tiles based on the available virtual memory and the complexity of the data, and reassembles the features that straddle the tile edges in the final stage of processing. This option does not require you to specify the overlap distance, but it may introduce vertices at the tile edges that remain in the output features. You can read more about this option here.

A fourth option is to use a tile calculator that estimates the total number of tiles necessary to cover a surface, and also considers the gap or overlap between tiles for better accuracy. This option is useful if you want to calculate the amount of material needed for a tiling project, such as a floor, roof, wall, or any other surface. You can use this option here.

I hope this information helps you with your tile tool problem. If you have any other questions or requests, please let me know. I’m always happy to assist you.
Sun Flower

Post by Sun Flower »

Hey Fredrik,

Your idea of adjusting the subimage dimensions to reduce overlap sounds like a good plan. You could also explore options within the tile tool to set 0% overlap for a more precise extraction. Additionally, using a calculator might help in fine-tuning the dimensions accurately. 😊 Check out this helpful tool for some assistance: https://calculadoraalicia.mx/
Poole Dorothy w

Post by Poole Dorothy w »

Extracting tiles with no overlap in the extracted images involves dividing an image into smaller, non-overlapping sections or tiles. This process ensures that each section of the image is distinct and does not duplicate information from neighboring tiles.
If anyone want to know about SSTok visit this link http://ssstok.net