ZeissImageLib and .Net Core

Discuss questions and projects related to processing of imaging data here
user-7093

ZeissImageLib and .Net Core

Post by user-7093 »

Is it possible to Ziess to update the DLL to support .Net Core? It would be great to have support to the latest technology. Better yet, is there a reason which zeissImageLib is closed source and LibCZI (C++) is open source. Do you plan on supporting both with new features? I am thinking of starting a new project and I have to make decisions on what to use.

Thanks!
user-4

Post by user-4 »

Hello MosGeo,

the ‘latest technology’ is at the moment difficult to define as .Net Core will ‘end up’ in .Net 5 in the near future (around 1 year from now). Zen blue is mainly written in .Net Framework 4.X and the ZeissImageLib is very much related to parts of Zen blue, one of the reasons it is closed code. Therefore ZeissImageLib will certainly skip .Net Core but there will be a ‘latest technology’ version in the ‘far future’ as Zen has to ‘migrate’ to the ‘new .Net’ in the long run.

LibCZI is open source, as long as it is not used in a commercial context etc., and will be supported in the future as to the knowledge of today. You already mentioned that LibCZI is written in C++ and thus is independent of .Net philosophies.

I hope these informations help to make a decision.
user-7093

Post by user-7093 »

First of all, thanks for the prompt reply.

Let me preface what I will be saying next by explicitly stating that this is just my opinion.

The general availability for .Net 5 is November of 2020. Still .Net 5: 1) will be built on top of .Net Core 3.1 (not .Net framework 4.5), and 2) Is not a long term service version. From business perspective, it would make sense to move from one long term version to the next. That would mean Zen blue vNext should either target .Net Core 3.1 (GA Nov 2019) or .Net 6 (GA Nov 2021).

That being said, it would make sense to decouple ZeissImageLib from Zen blue in terms of maintenance and have it on a faster track as it is provided for third party for development purposes. Or at least provide it as an open source package so that different forks/versions can be created by the community.

My current plans is to use ASP.Net and Blazer as a web framework so this would require .Net Core. I will continue to evaluate my options.

Regards!